Watching the news has me more than a little paranoid about the world we live in. Who wouldn’t be?! It’s almost as if we’re creating a checklist of ways to screw up our habitat.
Massive Oil Spill? Check.
Hormones in our food? Check.
Leaching plastics? Check.
BPA in receipts? Check…wait, wha?! It’s true.
There are so many things to worry about when it comes to food, I might as well add overwhelmed mother to that list. So what’s a mother to do? The best she can, of course. You do what you can, when you can do it and try not to lose too much sleep over everything else. Easier said than done, right?
Here are some hints from around the internet to help:
- plant a garden. (ok, that’s not directly from a website but it’s kinda a no-brainer)
- try to avoid these 7 Nasties (c’mon, did you really think microwavable popcorn was good for you?)
- buy organic when your pocketbook permits (keep a Dirty Dozen/Clean 15 cheat sheet in your wallet)
- go outside, run around, play! (get your body moving to help release environmental toxins found in your system)
- make your own food (As Michael Pollan said “Eat all the junk food you want as long as you cook it yourself.” Mmm, homemade magic shell.)
What are some of your survival strategies? What do you decide to worry about and what do you let slide?